Sunday 22 May 2011

1st year officially done!

Ok, so I can't believe I've already finished my first year at uni - seems like just yesterday when I was applying!

We've already had a transition meeting for going into 2nd year and I must admit I felt really daunted at first, not knowing what to expect.  But I've now got a better idea of what it will be like - which will apparently involve lots of case studies, for both reflexology and aromatherapy.


One book that I really need to get is by Salvatore Battaglia - The Complete Guide to Aromatherapy.  I've renewed it about 5 times from the university library already and it's been invaluable to me throughout the aromatherapy module, so it's about time I invest in my own copy!  I've got a couple of others already, that I bought or had gifted to me years ago - including Chrissie Wildwood's Encyclopedia of Aromatherapy, and Aromatherapy an A-Z by Patricia Davis - and I'd recommend them too.

I tried a few others, including one by Julia Lawless (Complete Illustrated Guide to Aromatherapy) but there didn't seem to be anything in there that wasn't covered by the other books I've got - and without sounding mean, it almost seemed as if she'd copied a lot of stuff from Chrissie Wildwood.  Plus, Lawless classifies Juniper berry essential oil as an abortifacient as if it's pure fact, when actually there is no evidence to confirm this (and quite a lot to the contrary - if you're interested in the chemistry side of aromatherapy then you should read the Tisserand & Balacs book Essential Oil Safety, as this looks into statements like "juniper berry causes abortions" in detail and has the research to back it up).  It's ok if all you want is a book that gives a few uses of each oil, accompanied by pretty pictures - but there's not enough detail in it for me and if you want to practice as an aromatherapist, there's no way you can rely on this book.

Thank goodness I have some time off til September now... I hope to use the time constructively (of course!!) to go through all my notes, client paperwork etc and sort it all out into a proper working order.  I'm pretty sure the time will fly by so really hoping I don't procrastinate too much!

But if there's 1 tip I can give, it's to learn time management.  It's been a sharp learning curve for me, and I have it on good authority that next year is gona fly by much faster than this year has, so managing my time effectively and organising my work properly is going to be the "make-or-break" of my degree.

No comments:

Post a Comment